Contact Information: https://www.decidim.barcelona/users/sign_up?locale=es
Website Address: https://www.decidim.barcelona/processes/colonia-castells
- Project Details:
The objective is the drafting of the executive project for a new 10,000 square metre public green space in the Les Corts neighbourhood of Barcelona. Barcelona City Council wants to listen to and gather the needs and proposals of entities, groups, neighbours, and residents, promoting active participation in the urban transformation of Colonia Castells with the aim of defining criteria and proposals. The participatory process ‘Choose green Colonia Castells!’ is an open process for two reasons: to think, together, how we want this 10,000 square metre space in the district to be and, at the same time, to help shape an inclusive and broad green network that benefits all citizens and includes the needs of the residents of the neighbourhood and the district.
Thematic Area: Climate Change Mitigation
Thematic Sub-category: Green Urbanism related to improving social relations.
Type of Actor/Agent: Local Council
Typology of Green Urban Site: Green spaces for sports and children´s games.
- Green City Elements used – Green Urbanism, Bee-friendly gardens, Smart People, Citizen Engagement.
- Engagement and Consultation:
Target Group – Citizens.
Public Engagement – YES.
Consultation Tools Used – Basic statutory planning obligation, Survey or feedback forms at public meetings, Workshop with small discussion, Focus groups, Stakeholder interviews, Proper public engagement.
- Innovation and Impact:
Level of Scale of Innovation: 3
Abstract of Elements of Innovation – “Participatory process to define criteria and proposals for the drafting of the executive project for the public space resulting from the urban transformation of Colonia Castells.
Phases of the process:
- Information and diagnosis: Working sessions are held to describe the expectations and needs surrounding the Colonia Castells public space. Its purpose is to provide the necessary knowledge to be able to elaborate a common diagnosis that will be the basis of the propositive phase.
- Proposals and criteria: The topics to be dealt with in the analysis of the results technically agreed with the district are prepared. Transversal workshops are held for the sectoral groups and with appropriate methodologies for the contribution of criteria and proposals that will enrich the drafting of the executive project.
- Return and final report: First, a presentation of the report is made in a working session to present the results and validate them with the Monitoring Commission. Afterwards, the report is drafted and, finally, the return will be prepared in an agreed format.
Expected Impact Medium.
- Analysis: – Needs Analysis conducted.
- Benefits (B) and Challenges (C):
(B) Temperature & Climate control, Improved Air Quality, Increased biodiversity, Well-being benefits (such as people’s perception of increased biodiversity and improved visual quality of the environment), Creation of green jobs and business opportunities, improved visual quality of the environment, Recreational opportunities, Adjusting psychological well-being and physical health, Enhancing social ties, Improving physical fitness and reducing depression.
- Resources and Transferability:
Teaching Materials/Resources: https://www.decidim.barcelona/processes/colonia-castells?locale=es
Personal Skills Required: MEDIUM
Non-discriminatory Principles YES
Transferability Potential Medium